Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rowan County Military Honor Guard – Still Serving Fellow Veterans

Presenting American Flag at Funeral - Photo by U.S. Navy at Wikimedia Commons
Few people cherish the thought of attending a funeral, but one group of veterans have dedicated themselves to providing military honors at funeral ceremonies for fellow comrades. Many people think of honoring those in the military who are deceased on Memorial Day, but this group of soldiers provide services throughout the year.

My dad was a veteran who graduated from the United States Naval Academy who served in the U.S. Navy for five years. His life ended abruptly due to a wreck on the interstate many years after he served in the military. It was a tough time for our entire family.

Honor Guard Provides Military Rights at Funerals - Photo from Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, HALS NC-2 at Wikimedia Commons
One part of the funeral service that stands out for me is a group of men came to pay their respects and provide military honors. These were some of the volunteer members of the Rowan County Military Honor Guard. They may represent a variety of areas, including:
  • American Legion
  • Post #107, Post #327, Post #342
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars
  • Post #3006, Post #9131
The beautiful notes of Taps still ring in my ears when I think back to the service. After the gun salute, the men did not hesitate to retrieve the shells and present them to me along with heartfelt condolences.

Many veterans say they would do it all again if their services were needed. Many of them are still quietly serving today and have done so for many years by volunteering to honor deceased veterans and provide a bit of comfort to the family. I do not believe that any of the men who attended my father's funeral had ever met my dad, but they came...and they served well.

They also provided a flag with an informational brochure describing the symbolism of each fold, and I cherish each and every item that our family was given. I wish to publicly thank the Rowan County Military Honor Guard. Well done. Your personal service will not be forgotten.

Never Forget - Photo by Christine Singh at Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my article and sending your comment! I personally review all comments before they go live and try to answer any questions.

I do not post links to other sites on this blog.